Taking off across the world for the winter does have a downside: we can’t pack our friends in our suitcases. The Internet certainly makes it easier to keep in contact with loved ones, but there is no online equivalent to a day spent running around at the beach, having a picnic or playing hide-and-seek in the yard. There’s nothing like a good gab with a girlfriend. And cooking alone? Booooooring.
We had a break from our existence as a small family unit (minus daddy) this weekend, when friends came up to visit from Cape Town.
A few reflections from the weekend:
- Four kids and a dog make one hell of a mess.
- Little boys can be mind-bogglingly loud (says the mother or two little girls).
- There is nothing like other kids to encourage a timid four-year-old to explore the garden or run into the ocean.
- Having a drink at lunch can lead to a lot more drinking.
- Putting kids to bed late in hopes that they’ll let you sleep in is utter foolishness.
- Red nail polish and lipstick can make a mom feel exponentially prettier regardless of when last she took a shower.
I am definitely even more exhausted today than I was on Friday, but hey, isn’t that what normal people’s lives are like?